Tuesday, April 15, 2014

eggs



It is raining cats and dogs all day here, perfect day to stay home and cook. I looked at the almost empty fridge and eggs were pretty much it so deviled eggs and egg salad are on the menu over here. I took a few shots with my phone, which takes much more grainy photos than my last iPhone for some reason, the one I dropped into Lake Chautaqua last summer ;o( .


 I make the simplest deviled eggs with curry and lemon. The men in our family eat them immediately. Today I went heavy on the lemon juice and curry for my husband, he loves bold flavors. All I do is throw all these ingredients into the Cuisinart and pulse. I allowed it to remain a bit lumpy and runny today but smooth and thick is fine too and nicer for company of course. I add the mayo, lemon juice and curry to taste, don't really measure. I usually use the entire lemon and the  curry powder is bought in bulk from the Indian grocery. Hopefully Savannah or Charleston have one, Beaufort certainly doesn't. We need some fennel for the morning chai husband makes so will have to research.


Guests often mention they don't like curry but after tasting the eggs, they like them and eat several. The combination of lemon and curry are sharp and bold and then the mayo balances it and adds creaminess.

Deviled  eggs with curry and lemon
~hard boiled eggs
~light Hellman mayonnaise
~lemon squeezed
~ curry powder 
(freshest is from Indian grocery and also much less expensive)
~salt and pepper
~green onions, parsley and/or dill can be blended into mix or used as garnish


Have you seen this blogger's naturally dyed eggs on Pinterest? 
I think they are so beautiful.


And Martha's team came up with this pretty tabletop idea with eggs, combining moss covered styrofoam eggs, quince or crabapple stems and several sizes of brown eggs.

Martha Stewart

Are eggs a favorite food in your house?

Thanks for visiting!
Cindy



6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! My husband LOVES deviled eggs and sadly i think i have only made them once. It was years ago and i was proud of myself until i realized the reason they kept falling over was because i cut them the wrong way:) They were so wobbly haha! You have just inspired me to surprise him with deviled eggs....perfect for the week of Easter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm I think my deviled eggs are the best in the world...buuuut I'm intrigued! I love the brightness lemon adds to deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love deviled eggs, but my recipe is pretty traditional. I'm anxious to try your curry and lemon, it sounds delish! At least you chose something healthy, cool rainy days usually mean baking a batch of cookies for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! That looks easy enough.....even for me, ha ha. We eat lots of eggs here....high protein and low carbs. And we're fine on cholesterol. Thx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for Easter...my husband loves them and your recipe looks really delish and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggs are a staple here too.... and I finally bought my first real deviled egg plate! I mean, in the South it is an absolute necessity, no? Every good hostess serves deviled eggs....

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!