Monday, February 11, 2013

tweaking a gold sunburst

 I ordered a sunburst mirror from One Kings Lane for over our new upholstered bed. 


I liked it immediately out of the box and the size was perfect but there was a problem. The gold accents in the room were clashing. Not that everything has to be matchy matchy but the gold tone of the sunburst was green gold, the frames and mirror on a nearby wall were pink/ orangish gold, the pair of sconce reading lams on either side of the bed were shiny yellow brass. Too much. What to do?  My new hobby...paint it!  Annie Sloan chalk paint and Rub n Buff to the rescue.


I had Annie Sloan Country Grey left in the quart can after painting five different projects things with it so I got to work quickly, painting one heavy coat and then waxing with a lot of pressure to reveal some of the gold leaf underneath. The gold trim surround that was not painted, was rubbed with a combination of Rub N Buff Gold Leaf and Antique Gold, which were close to the color of the other frames in the room. 



 The colors look quite different here but all are pink toned.


I still am not thrilled with the shiny brass sconces on the same wall as the sunburst, may change those with the Rub N Buff too but they don't scream "fix me immediately" like the sunburst did. You can see them in the glare in the reflection of the mirror. What about your home? Are there any projects going on? I know I am a happier person when I am being creative and working with my hands!



2 comments:

  1. There is no stopping you with your paint, I love it! You have a great eye, and know exactly what each piece needs to enhance it. Very pretty mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you allowed to buy rub n buff stock or is it a conflict of interest? Haha I need some of that. Love your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!