Monday, February 9, 2015

inside our cottage this week

 Hi everyone!

We are making progress. Spring feels like it is on its way with the warm sunny days we have been having this week in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Of course nightly fires are still cozy and warm. Since we are always short of actual newspapers, trader joe's bags suffice as fire starters.


Good old reliable alstroemeria is bringing some pink into the house for Valentine's.






I placed a candleholder rather awkwardly behind the angled television to give us something to look at from the breakfast table. 


I may not have mentioned it before but the French walnut breakfast table was part of designer Charles Faudree's estate that was sold through Sally Johannesson's Dovetail Antiques in Cashiers when Charles passed away in 2013. I think she said it actually had been used in his sister Francie's home.  Charles had a home here in the mountains.


We had the legs extended. It has two wonderful big drawers. Charles was a close friend of Sally and her mother. Everyone raves about what a humble and lovely man he was!


I am growing my last group of narcissus for the season. They have been so wonderful this winter.


I added some magnolia pods I found under a magnificent magnolia tree in Athens, Georgia to the little acorns from our yard.


And some eucalyptus from Trader Joe's in Atlanta when we were visiting friends and family last week for the big jar on the top of the dresser.


A pretty sunrise a few days ago from the house.


We have had this pillow for years. It seems perfect in the mountains. It is hand knit, I found it at Christine Foley's shop in The Fairmont in San Francisco when she used to sell lots of hand knit pillows and throws. It suits the dining bench.



That's it for now. We are itching to get started gardening. I have ordered seeds pods and trays and will attempt to get some seeds started in a sunny guest room window. Will try herbs first and then annuals for a cutting garden that I will have to start in April which feels like a long wait.

Bye for now...


 We enjoyed a beautiful warm winter hike on Saturday at Glen Falls.



Thanks for visiting!
Cindy


7 comments:

  1. Your house is beautiful! It's so different from your Ohio house! I love it. It really has a strong relationship to that NC mountain vibe, while not being "themey". Looks fabulous. You've been all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen! All the same stuff that we had in the old house but it was spread throughout the house. Can't wait for spring!

      Delete
  2. Your home and the scenery are gorgeous! I wish we would get some of that spring weather here!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty photos, lovely updates to your home. Glad you've been enjoying your travels.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing a mini "tour" of your house. Lucky you to have a real fireplace: ours is gas. Yes, it's easier but not half as romantic or with that fabulous smell. The dining bench and table are perfect and I have to thank you for giving me that idea: our bench is one of the best things I have ever added to the house!!! I'll do a post and include it…some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new home is growing more beautiful, Cindy!! It's so warm and cozy. I love how you decorate with gifts from Mother Nature. I have some Magnolia pods and will gather them to use inside - thanks for the inspiration. Cheers, L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindy, Your home looks so cozy, so many lovely spots to curl up with a good book. I love your compote filled with acorns and magnolia pods as I do the same thing! There is something so satisfying about long walks gathering pods, or shells, or stones, etc., and I think they add such warmth to a room.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!